A place of community that welcomes all people and faith traditions?
Then you might want to give the UUC Surprise a visit!
Unitarian Universalism is an ethics-based, liberal religion that values the individual spiritual journey and focuses on making the world a better place through deed and service. Unitarian Universalism stems from Christianity and then the union of Unitarianism and Universalism. We have become a non-doctrine, non-denominational religion that believes little bits of truths from most world religions. Our primary focus, however, is on the Seven UU Principles and how to live them every day to create a caring, fair, and loving life.
Religious education classes will be taught on ZOOM until the church can safely resume in-person services.
RE classes will take place on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th Sundays of the month. The 4th Sunday is off. The ZOOM link will be emailed after your children are registered. To register your children for classes, please send an email to the Director of Religious Education at firstname.lastname@example.org
Preschool: Sunday 10:00-10:30 A.M.
Grades 2nd & Up: Sunday 11:30-12:15 A.M.
In Person Schedule: (when services resume)
All RE classes will take place at the church every Sunday of the month at 10:30 A.M.
To see an overview of our current class curriculum, please view our 2020/2021 RE Program Brochure.
We use the Unitarian Universalist Association’s “Tapestry of Faith” curriculum to teach our ideas and ideals while bearing in mind the poignant words of the great visionary Rev. William Ellery Channing.
This curriculum is supported with stories, games, crafts and songs. Children will learn about Unitarian Universalism, world religions, social justice and famous UU’s Throughout History.
Additionally, each year the children also participate in local and international service projects that focus on social justice, and stewardship.
Interaction with the congregation is also encouraged, and each Sunday the children join us in the sanctuary for the “Lighting of the Chalice” and “Story for all Ages” after which, they are sung-out and head off to classes.
See our new 2020/2021 RE Program Brochure for an overview of our current class curriculum,
Each year our program continues to grow with families just like yours!
There are many opportunities for involvement ranging from family social activities, service projects, special church events, and volunteer opportunities. Parental involvement is imperative to the success of the children’s religious education program. It is the parents and other caring congregational members that become our volunteer teaching staff so please review the RE Family Registration form.
- The church offers supervision of children engaged in Sunday programming between the hours of 10:15 a.m.–11:45 a.m. only, unless special arrangements have been made.
- Prior to 10:15 a.m. and post 11:45 a.m. parents/guardians are responsible for supervising their own children.
- Childcare may or may not be provided at special programming.
- A parent/guardian must be on the church premises while children are participating in classes.
- Children are not allowed in the back office area unless accompanied by their parent/guardian when classes are not in session.
- The Unitarian Universalist Church of Surprise may, with permission, record your child(ren’s) likeness, without any further identification, for use in print media, church displays, and in other ways they may see fit to further the aims of this church.
- Due to many severe food allergies in our children, food or beverage, other than water, are not allowed in the children’s classrooms.
- Parents are required to change their own child’s diapers.
SUNDAY SCHOOL IS BACK AND IT’S VIRTUAL
Classes are being offered this year for preschool (age 2 years-1st grade) and 2nd grade and up.
The preschool curriculum is called “Rainbow Connection” and will begin at 10 am. For 2nd graders and Up, the “Spirit of Adventure” class will begin at 11 am. For the Zoom link, please email the Children’s Religious Education Director, Lisa Lawrence, at email@example.com
We look forward to “seeing” you!
A Progressive, Inclusive Faith Community