Date Posted: September 20, 2021
Date Needed: Negotiable
City: Surprise, AZ
Country: United States
Primary Category: Music Director
Type of Position: Half Time
Salary: $20,000, commensurate with training, experience, and background
Benefits: Pro-rated Health, Dental, LTD, Life/AD&D, Professional Expenses. Retirement Plan starts after 12 months of employment.
DESCRIPTION AND DETAILS
Unitarian Universalist Church Surprise (UUCS), a progressive faith community, seeks a vibrant and talented Director of Music. The ideal candidate will be collaborative, creative, and find joy in working with a socially conscious and energetic congregation.
UUCS is a liberal, religious community dedicated to the inherent worth and dignity of all people and the possibility of a more just and kind world. Our multigenerational community of about 175 adults, children and youth is part of the Unitarian Universalist tradition– a tradition committed to the idea that people of different religious and spiritual beliefs can live in covenant with one another. UUCS seeks to build communities of love within the congregation and in our work for social justice and peace in the world. We are currently entering a transitional period after the retirement of our longtime minister and anticipate exciting opportunities as we move into our future.
Music is central to the life of the congregation, inspiring us, voicing our mission and vision through song, and calling us to a fuller expression of our values. We seek to share music with the wider community.
Overview of responsibilities for Director of Music
- Collaborating with the Minister on planning hymns and anthems for weekly services and other special services as needed.
- Overseeing music programming and the planning of music for all worship services, including hymns, choir anthems, instrumentals, and other music.
- Leading regularly scheduled choir rehearsals.
- Ordering, cataloguing, and tracking sheet music in the music library. Supervising volunteer music librarian.
- Overseeing piano maintenance, and managing and maintaining supplies such as choir folders and music stands.
- Collaborating with other staff members, volunteers, congregants and the Music Committee as appropriate.
- Developing or supervising development of visuals for use in worship services as it relates to music.
- Attending to other duties as assigned and relevant to the position
- Bachelor’s Degree in music or relevant experience.
- General Keyboard ability.
- At least 2 years experience conducting a choir with demonstrated ability to work with and engage diverse groups of musicians with a variety of skill levels.
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn about a variety of music styles including folk, Bluegrass classical, jazz, pop, and world music.
- Skill with audio and recording technology and understanding of copyright laws that apply to live streaming.
Starting Date: Negotiable
Pay and Hours:
Salary: $20,000 commensurate with training, experience, and background.
Employment includes Membership in AUUMM (Association of Unitarian Universalist Music Ministries), providing opportunity for professional growth.
How to Apply:
As an intentionally inclusive and diverse Unitarian Universalist congregation, we welcome applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.
For more information and to apply, please complete the form below to start the application process:
Unitarian Universalist Church in Surprise
We welcome you!
Sundays at 10:30am
17540 N Avenue of the Arts
Surprise, AZ 85378
A Progressive, Inclusive Faith Community